top of page

Living in Australia

Living, Working and Studying in Australia

Atlas College understands that international students are living, working and studying outside of their home country and this presents many opportunities and challenges. To assist the student, Atlas College has provided information covering Living, Working and Studying in Australia at the training locations.


Information regarding living, working and studying in Australia for international students can be found at:

This is the official Australian Government website for international students. Students can search for courses, institutions and scholarships, read about studying and living in Australia, watch stories from other students, and learn about Australian education. This website is managed by the Australian Trade and Investment Commission (Austrade).

  • Support Services for International Students: 

  • Study in Australia Guide:  

Australian Cost of Living: Indicative Estimated Costs

Accommodation Options

You have different accommodation choices.


‘Homestay’ is when a student lives with an Australian family in their home. The homestay family may provide students with meals, laundry facilities and their own room with a study desk. Students may be asked to share some household chores. Homestay also gives the opportunity to practise their English.

Hostel Accommodation

Hostels provide a friendly, safe, supervised environment. Students get their own room or a shared room. The dining room, games room and television room are communal. Many hostels also provide meals.

Sharing a House or Apartment

When a student shares a house or apartment with one or more people, the student may have more independence than if living in a homestay or hostel accommodation.

Students may need to supply their own furniture if the house/apartment is unfurnished. Students may also have to supply for themselves such items as towels, pillows, sheets and blankets.

Students may have to share the cost of rent, telephone, electricity and gas. Students may need to buy their own food and do their own laundry and cooking.

Renting Alone

Studio apartments or one-bedroom apartments are smaller and less expensive to rent than larger apartments.

Students may need to provide their own furniture if the house or apartment is unfurnished. The students may also need to supply their own pillows, sheets and blankets, and pay for expenses such as electricity, gas, and telephone. The Student may need to clean their own apartment, do their own laundry, buy their own food and do their own cooking.


Costs depend on the size and location of the apartment or house.

Indicative Estimated Accommodation costs

Hostels and Guesthouses -                                          $90 to $150 per week

Shared Rental -                                                            $95 to $215 per week

Homestay -                                                                  $235 to $325 per week

Rental -                                                                        $185 to $440 per week

Boarding schools -                                                       $11,000 to $22,000 a year


Other living expenses

Groceries and eating out -                                          $140 to $280 per week

Gas, electricity -                                                          $10 to $20 per week

Phone and Internet -                                                   $15 to $30 per week

Public transport -                                                        $30 to $60 per week

Car (after purchase) -                                                  $150 to $260 per week

Entertainment -                                                           $80 to $150 per week

Cost of living

The Department of Home Affairs has financial requirements you must meet in order to receive a student visa for Australia.


Refer to the step-by-step Student Visa Subclass 500 application and Document Checklist Tool for details on how to provide the evidence required to cover the costs of your stay, including your travel, study and living expenses.


As of October 2019, the 12-month living costs are;


For students or guardians -                                                     $21,041

For partners coming with you -                                              $7,362

For a child coming with you -                                                 $3,152


The Home Affairs website covers in more detail how to work out how much money you might need to cover the costs of your stay in Australia as an international student.  

The Insider Guides ‘Cost of Living Calculator is also a useful, practical tool to help estimate your cost of living in Australia

If you experience financial trouble while in Australia, talk to your institution’s international student support and student accommodation services staff for assistance.

For more information visit:

for more information about student visa , eligibility, application process etc please visit:

Education Costs

The list below gives you a broad indication of the range of course costs (yearly) for different types of qualifications.

School -                                               $7,800 to $30,000

English language studies – Around $300 per week depending on course length

Vocational Education and Training (Certificates I to IV, Diploma and Advanced Diploma) - $4,000 to $22,000

Undergraduate Bachelor Degree -     $20,000 to $45,000*

Postgraduate Master’s Degree -        $22,000 to $50,000*

Doctoral Degree -                                $18,000 to $42,000*

* Note: This does not include the high cost of delivery courses such as veterinary and medical. Please visit institution websites directly to see costs for these courses.

All costs are per year in Australian dollars. To convert to your own currency,


To find this information and more, students should refer to the Australian government official information on Living, Studying and Working in Australia available at:

bottom of page